Womens Safety Program
Womens Safety Program
The Women’s Safety Project is a series of 12-week programs that provide education and training workshops for vulnerable women with a sensory or physical disability or otherwise considered ‘at risk’, that aim to increase self-reliance, empowerment, and personal safety.
The program will include self-defence lessons and workshops delivered by experts that explore topics such as respectful relationships, self development, what you can do to help others, and online safety.
The Women’s Safety Program is generously funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services’ Strong and Resilient Communities – Inclusive Communities grant.
There is no cost for eligible participants or their carers/support persons.
Workshops and classes
The 12-week program will include weekly face-to-face classes with some online activities.
Each 12-week program will include:
- 3 Self-defence lessons
- 4 Self-empowerment classes
- 2 Respectful Relationships classes
- 3 Self-reflection sessions.
Within these workshops, we will explore:
- Domestic Violence (DV) and the DV cycle
- conflict resolution
- communication styles
- healthy vs unhealthy relationships
- managing stress
- coercive control and other controlling tactics
- what you can do as a bystander to help others
- online safety
- safety from sexual violence.
Lessons and workshops are to be delivered in an accessible manner by external trainers that specialise in the topic.
Face-to-face workshops and classes will be held in the Griffin Centre, Canberra city.
Self-defence classes will be held at the Canberra Martial Arts & Fitness Studio in Woden.
Dates / Times
The Women’s Safety Project will run six 12-week workshop programs across 2023 and 2024.
Participants will enrol into one of the program workshop Groups, with the first Group due to commence Tuesday 21 February 2023.
Workshop Groups and their dates are as follows:
- Group 1 – Tuesdays: 21 Feb – 2 May 2023
- Group 2 – Tuesdays: 6 June – 22 Aug 2023
- Group 3 – Thursdays: 10 Aug – 26 Oct 2023
- Group 4 – Tuesdays: 12 Sep – 28 Nov 2023
- Group 5 – Tuesdays: 6 Feb – 23 April 2024
- Group 6 – Thursdays: 7 Mar – 21 May 2024.
Allow 3 hours for classes.
Face-to-face workshop classes will be held on Tuesday or Thursday afternoons, from 1-4 pm.
Self-defence classes to be held on Sundays, from 11am – 2pm.
If you have a preference for a particular Group’s set of dates, please nominate that Workshop Group on your enrolment form. Otherwise you will be enrolled into the next available Group.
To be eligible for this program you must be:
- A woman or identify as a woman
- Be 18 years old or over
- Live in Canberra or surrounds*
- Willing and able to attend weekly classes
- Have a sensory or physical disability or impairment
be considered in an ‘at-risk’ or ‘vulnerable’ circumstance, demographic or situation.
Examples of ‘at-risk’ or ‘vulnerable’:
- Invisible chronic illness or mental health
- Refugee or migrant with limited support / facing other hardships or barriers
- Single parent under financial or domestic stress
- Indigenous or culturally diverse background
- Having previously experienced Domestic or Family Violence
- Grown up or living with others where the misuse of alcohol or drugs is a regular occurrence.
*Open to participants from surrounding areas, willing and able to undertake the travel on a weekly basis.
The Women’s Safety Project is preventative program that empowers women to understand relationship dynamics and develop strength so they can make choices and act for their safety and others.
To enrol into the Women’s Safety Program click here:
For more information about the Women’s Safety Program email email@example.com
The Women’s Safety Program is an initiative of Eyes for Life Canberra through the Department of Social Services’ Strong and Resilient Communities – Inclusive Communities grant.
Funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
Visit www.dss.gov.au for more information.
- Phone: 02 6176 3406
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours: Tues – Thurs 9.30AM – 4.30PM
We are not open on Mondays or Fridays